the secret to a bundt cake is butter and time. BUTTER: lots of butter in the pan, in every little crevice--the more complicated the pan, the more butter you need. this cake was baked in a classic flora bundtform, which is a fairly easy form to work with. (the cathedral bundtform is my favorite but kind of a beast in terms of making sure the cake emerges unscathed.) TIME: once the cake is out of the oven, waiting EXACTLY ten minutes before inverting the cake onto a plate.
- 1.75 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. To prepare cake, smear lots and lots of softened butter into every crevice of your bundt pan. The more complicated the pan (the one above is a flora bundt), the more butter is needed. Dust the buttered pan with flour. Tap pan upside down over sink to remove extra flour.
3. Combine granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through salt); stir with a whisk.
5. Add blueberries to flour mixture; toss to coat.
6. Combine 1 cup milk and extracts.
7. Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in almonds. Pour batter into prepared pan.
8. 4. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pan on a wire rack 10 minutes (TEN MINUTES; no more, no less). Remove cake from pan; cool on rack.
9. To prepare glaze, place powdered sugar in a small bowl; add 1 tablespoon milk (or more as needed), stirring with a whisk until combined.
10. Pour glaze over warm cake; cool completely.