this will make about 48oz of clam chowder
- 32oz milk
- 2 cans chopped clams
- 8oz clam juice
- 1 onion
- 4oz butter
- 1 rib celery
- 1 lb of potatoes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 bay leaves
- melt butter in pan
- dice onions and celery finely. sweat in pan
- while this is happening, cook diced potatoes separately in another vessel. salt the water if you wish.
- before veggies are browned, add flour to coat all the veggies. I think this is how a lazy man creates a roux.
- Once you have that mixed up, add the clam juice a little at a time, eliminate all lumps if possible. Scrape whatever is at the bottom of the pan.
- add milk slowly, and mix all together.
- add the bay leaves, clams, juice and all
- add the drained potatoes, which should be al dente at this point.
- simmer, stir frequently, reduce until thickened
add salt/pepper to taste