- 2 x Cooking Apples (Optional: rhubarb, pear or blackberry)
- 5 oz flour (about 140 grams)
- 4 oz butter (about 110 grams)
- 3 oz brown sugar (about 85 grams)
- Lemon Juice
- Brown Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c.
2. Peel the two apples and any extra ingredients you wish. Cut into roughly 2 cm cubes and place in pan. Cover with a generous splash of lemon juice and roughly a tablespoon of brown sugar. Leave over the hob to simmer down, but make sure the apple pieces stay whole.
2. Whilst the apple is over the heat, dice all 4 oz of butter into a mixing bowl. Add the 5 oz of flour (sieving optional).
3. Hope you don't mind getting messy - it's time to get stuck in! Rub the flour and butter together with your fingers until it reaches a crumbly, breadcrumb-like consistency. Add in the 3 oz of brown sugar and stir.
4. Turn off the hob. Remove most of the excess apple juice - leave too much and it will become soggy, take too much and it will be dry. Pour the contents of the pan into the bottom of your ovenproof dish. Cover this with the crumble mixture and press flat.
5. Leave in oven for roughly 40-45 mins - or until it is golden on top - and take out, turning off the oven. And Enjoy! It is best served freshly made with ice-cream or custard.