Salpicón is a light, refreshing Mexican salad made with shredded beef, pickled chilis (or chiles en vinagre), lettuce, tomato, avocado, panela cheese and a squeeze of lime for just the right tang.
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 1 ¼ lb Skirt steak
- 4 Roma tomatoes Finely chopped
- ½ head Iceberg or Romaine lettuce
- 3 Limes
- 2 Avocados
- ½ cup Pickled chilis (chiles en vinagre)
- 4 tablespoon Parsley Finely chopped
- ⅓ Red onion Finely chopped
- 4 ozs Panela cheese Grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Beef
1. Slice the beef against the grain into 1-inch chunks.
2. Fill a pan halfway with water and add the sliced beef. Cook over medium-high heat for about 30 minutes or until tender.
Chop the Veggies
1. While the beef is cooking, finely chop the garlic, red onion and parsley and put into separate prep bowls.
2. Chop the lettuce and place in a large mixing bowl. You’ll use this bowl to mix the salad.
3. Chop the tomatoes and place into another bowl. Do the same with the pickled chilis.
Chop and Shred Remaining Ingredients
1.Cut the avocado in half, around the pit. Score each half into squares and then scoop the avocado into a bowl.
2. Shred the panela cheese into a plate and set aside.
Shred the Beef
1. After cooking the beef, the water will reduce and the broth will darken.
2. Remove the beef from the broth and shred using a knife and fork. You can let it cool and shred with your hands, but it will be easier to shred while hot.
Assemble Your Salad
1. Start with your large bowl of shredded lettuce.
2. Add the shredded beef, then the chopped onion.
3. Scoop in the avocado and spoon in the chopped tomatoes.
4. Sprinkle on the shredded cheese.
5. Add the pickled chilis, then sprinkle in the parsley and garlic.
Top with Spices, Lime and Oil
1. Sprinkle in the pepper and salt.
2. Squeeze in the limes.
3. Finally, pour in the olive oil.
Toss and Serve
1. Carefully toss all ingredients in the mixing bowl, being careful not to crush the avocado.
2. Serve as a side salad or on your favorite tostadas for a crunchy, tasty treat!
There are no comments. Be the first to add one.