Crispy, fried tortillas filled with warm Mexican cheese are topped with a refreshing cabbage slaw, perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
- For the Cabbage Slaw
- ¼ Head of green cabbage
- ¼ Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Chilies from a can of chilies in vinegar, finely chopped
- Liquid from the canned chilies
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- For the Tacos
- 2 lbs. Corn tortillas
- ¾ lb. Queso fresco (Mexican fresh cheese), crumbled
- Vegetable oil for frying
Make the Cabbage Slaw
1. Thinly slice the cabbage and place into a large mixing bowl.
2. Then add the chilies, oregano, salt and liquid from the chilies.
3. Mix until well combined and set aside.
Make the Tacos
1. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat. You should have just enough oil to cover a tortilla.
2. Carefully place the tortilla in the hot oil and fry for five seconds.
3. Using kitchen tongs, flip the tortilla.
4. Immediately add the fresh cheese while the tortilla is in the oil.
5. Using kitchen tongs and a spatula, carefully fold the taco in half and fry for 10-15 more seconds.
6. Flip over one more time without letting the taco get too brown.
Drain the Tacos
1. Using kitchen tongs, remove the taco from the oil and let the excess oil drip off.
2. Place tacos on a paper towel to drain.
Serve and Enjoy!
1. Place the heated tacos on a serving plate.
Top with the cabbage slaw.
2. Enjoy your queso fresco tacos!