Photo by Liz Dunn
This is a very cute and girly recipe. The pink color of the cupcake comes from strawberries and a drop of food dye; the frosting is regular old cream cheese frosting with many drops of food dye. I made this for a baby shower and it was a big hit but I think for non-themed events the frosting wouldn't need to be pink at all, and white frosting might really complement the pink cake.
- For the cupcakes:
- 4 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups pureed frozen strawberries*
- 8 egg whites
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 to 2 drops red food dye, if using (to make the pink color pop more)
- *fresh works too
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks; 6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Make the cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350»F. Get your cupcake sleeves in your muffin tin!
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixer bowl. With the electric mixer on low speed, blend for 30 seconds. Add the butter and strawberry puree and mix to blend the ingredients. Raise the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes; the batter will resemble strawberry ice cream at this point.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk and red food dye, if using, to blend. Add the whites to the batter in two or three additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl well and mixing only to incorporate after each addition. Divide the batter among the muffin tins
4. Bake the cupcakes for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the layers to cool in the pans for 10 to 15 minutes. Invert and turn out onto wire racks and peel off the paper liners. Let stand until completely cooled before assembling the cake, at least an hour.
Make the cream cheese frosting
5. In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.
There are no comments. Be the first to add one.