- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef shank, cut into 1" cubes
- 2" ginger, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 Thai chilies, roughly chopped
- 1 roma tomato, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Sichuan chili bean sauce (toban djan)
- 1 cup xiao xing
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 whole star anise cloves
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 2 lbs Asian wheat flour noodles
- fresh spinach leaves, baby bok choy, broccolini, or other small greens
Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. In batches, add the beef and brown on all sides. Set beef aside.
Add the remaining oil to the pot and heat until shimmering. Add the ginger, garlic, and chilies. Cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the tomato, sugar, and chili bean sauce. Stir until the mixture just begins to simmer.
Return the beef to the pot and stir. Add the xiao xing, stirring and scraping up browned bits. Add the star anise, Sichuan peppercorns, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, and water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the beef is tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
Remove the beef cubes and set aside. Strain the soup. Return the beef to the soup and add greens to wilt.
Cook the noodles according to the package. Strain and divide into bowls. Ladle the soup into each bowl and serve.