This is for the people who aren’t the brightest cooks but wants to do something special for their SO this Valentine’s day. Very easy, stress-free, delicious tomato spaghetti dish.
- 215 g of dried spaghetti
- 450 g of cherry tomatoes halved
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- Fresh basil for garnish
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 25 g of parmesan cheese grated
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Put 3.5L of water and 1 tablespoon of salt in a pot, then bring to a boil over the stove.
Add your spaghetti to the salted boiling water, then cook for about 8 minutes (or 1-2 minutes less than what the packet instructions say) stirring it occasionally, making sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
2. Before you drain your pasta, get a cup and scoop out some of the pasta water, you'll need that water for later. Strain the pasta, then set aside. You can add a touch of olive oil to the pasta if you want to stop it from sticking.
3. Get a frying pan that is at least medium-sized, and then pre-heat it over medium heat. Add your olive oil, then add your garlic. Fry the garlic in the olive oil for about 30 seconds to a minute.
Next, add your cherry tomatoes, dried oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper then combine in the pan. Put a lid over the pan, and then let the tomatoes cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Take off the lid, then use a potato masher to firmly mash the cherry tomatoes down, making sure they release all of their juices. Add a small splash of the pasta water you scooped out earlier (about 2-3 tablespoons) and then let the sauce simmer for a couple of minutes. After that, taste the sauce to see if it need any more salt.
5. Add your spaghetti then coat in the sauce. If you find that the spaghetti is sticking together a bit too much, you can add some extra pasta water (just a small splash though).
6. Add your grated parmesan, and then toss/stir through until the cheese is well incorporated in the pasta.
7. Heat some bowls in the microwave or a low-temperature oven. Once the bowls are nice and warm, neatly serve the pasta in them. Finish the dish by sprinkling over some extra parmesan cheese and garnishing with fresh basil. Serve and enjoy.