These muffins are completely dense and savory. I used cupcake liners but honestly, there's so butter you probably could pour the batter directly in a clean muffin tin.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, packed
- 3 T sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar
- fresh thyme or pumpkin seeds for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 400ºF. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and sour cream. Whisk in eggs and butter until combined.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients; pour the wet ingredients into the well, and fold until just combined. Fold in three quarters of the cheese.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. sprinkle with remaining cheese and some fresh thyme and/or pumpkin seeds, if using. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the muffin tin for 5-10 minutes. Loosen each with a paring knife and then cool on a wire rack. Serve warm, or reheat in a 200ºF oven.