I work with a guy who drinks 1-2 Mocha Frappuccinos every day. We wanted to thank him for helping us out, so I decided to make him a mocha frap in cupcake form! For the frosting, see my "Whipped Cream Frosting" recipe.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz freshly brewed coffee
- 2-4 oz freshly brewed espresso
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soday, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and mix on low speed until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the wet ingredients to the dry.
4. With the mixer still on low, add the coffee and espresso, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl, until mixed.
5. Fill each muffin tin to be 2/3 to 3/4 full and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
6. Cool completely before frosting. I recommend the Whipped Cream Frosting recipe to top these cakes. You can use chocolate syrup or chocolate shavings to decorate the cupcakes, or add a chocolate covered espresso bean.