Khichdi or Pongal is one of the healthiest meal one can have. After all the festivities, when sick or when you want to go easy on your tummy, then Khichdi or Pongal is the best dish.
Pongal or Khichdi is simple to make and easy to digest. There is not much difference in the recipe of Pongal and Khichdi.
- – Moong dal: 1/2 cup
- – Foxtail Millet: 1/2 cup
- – Turmeric: 1 teaspoon
- – Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- – Red chilly powder: 1 teaspoon
- – Ghee: 2 tablespoon
- – Salt to taste
- – Coriander leaves for garnishing
- – Curry leaves and cashews: Optional
– Wash And soak moong dal and millet for at least an hour. I usually soak it overnight, so that the cooking time reduces.
– Heat the skillet, add ghee to it. Once it melts, add cumin seeds, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and curry leaves. Once it crackles, add the soaked and drained millet and dal.
– Give it one good mix. Then add 3 cups of water and salt. Let it come to a boil.
– Reduce the flame to low and cover the pan with the lid. Let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the dal is well cooked.
– Mash the khichdi a little. Add some more water to get it to the consistency you desire.
– Top it with generous amount of coriander leaves and serve it hot with lemon wedges and ghee.