Egg-free, buttery, easy, 50% whole wheat and very adaptable! What’s not to love about these tender-crisp delicious cookies? The dough for these cookies is made in just 2 minutes in the KitchenAid Stand Mixer! If you are a new owner of the stand mixer, please do watch my video How To Use KitchenAid Artisan 5 Quart Stand Mixer here. Watch the recipe video here.
- – Whole wheat flour / Atta: 112 grams
- – Plain flour / Maida: 126 grams
- – Unsalted butter (at room temperature): 198 grams
- – Caster Sugar: 100 grams / 1/2 cup
- – Salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- – Pure vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
– Fit your stand mixer* with the paddle attachment.
– Whisk together the whole wheat flour and plain flour thoroughly. Set aside.
– Take the butter, salt, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of the stand mixer and beat them until smooth and creamy(not light and fluffy)You can also do this with a wooden spoon but making it in the stand mixer is easier and effortless. I mix on speed 4 for about a minute.
– Add in the flours and mix just until incorporated. This is very important as over mixing will make the cookies tough instead of tender.
– Scrape the dough on the counter, bring it together. If necessary knead lightly to make sure the flour is completely incorporated.
– Divide the dough into 2 parts, place on cling film and form into logs.
– Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours or even better overnight. This rest is very important as the dough absorbs the moisture and flavours better. Do not skip this step.
– The dough will firm up quite a bit after overnight refrigeration, it will be easier to slice.
– When ready to bake, preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F. Line two cookie sheets with aluminium foil, dull side facing up. Do not grease.
– Using a sharp knife, cut the cold dough into 1/4 inch thick slices.
– Place the cookies at least 1.5 inches apart.
– Bake 12-14 minutes or until the edges turn a light golden brown.(If using an OTG, rotate trays half-way through)
– Once done, lift the foil(with the cookies) and place on a cooling rack. Let the cookies cool completely before storing airtight. The cookies can be stored for about a month,if they still remain in the jar for so long that is!