Mexican Food Journal
Guacamole can be prepared in two ways: with a bowl and fork or in the molcajete, a Mexican mortar and pestle.
- 3 ripe avocados
- ¾ cup finely chopped Roma tomato
- 2 serrano chiles very finely chopped (seeded and deveined)
- 3 heaping tablespoons of finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons of minced cilantro
- Salt to taste (usually about ¾ of a teaspoon)
Remove the flesh of the avocados.
Mash the avocados with the back of a fork.
Add the other ingredients and incorporate evenly.
Add salt to taste.
Add the chopped onion, serrano chile, cilantro and salt to the molcajete.
Grind until you have a smooth paste.
Add the avocados to the molcajete and grind until slightly chunky.
Add the tomatoes to the molcajete and incorporate. Do not grind the tomatoes.
Adjust the salt.