- 3 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 6x4-inch pieces kombu
- 2 brown onions, unpeeled, halved through root, very thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, unpeeled, very thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
Preheat oven to 300º.
In a large bowl, whisk miso, oil, and water.
Crumble the mushrooms and kombu into the bowl. Add the onions, carrot, celery, garlic, and parsley. Toss to combine.
Spread the mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake 30 minutes. Toss the mixture and back another 30 minutes or until the vegetables start to shrivel.
Transfer mixture to a large pot. Add peppercorns and 4 quarts water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally.
When the broth is reduced by half, cool and strain.