Roasted Cauliflower Soup (with avocado on toast)
yummy, smoky, hearty and filling. and easy to make.
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 large head)
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper (an artisanal salt like haleakala red sea salt is really good in this recipe)
- 4 slices veggie bacon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or cream
- garnish with smashed wasa crisp and sliced green onions. i serve this with avocado & paprika on toast.
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Place cauliflower in a large bowl; drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat. Arrange mixture in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until tender and browned.
3. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Melt butter in pan. Add onion, veggie bacon and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cauliflower, stock, cream and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half. Place half of cauliflower mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth; pour pureed soup into a bowl. Repeat with remaining cauliflower mixture. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.