A crowd-pleasing favorite adapted for a Thanksgiving table. The secret to a successful bundt is butter and timing. Lots of butter. And only 10 minutes of cooling before removing it from the pan. If you butter the pan enough, and invert it onto a plate precisely 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven, you will not fail.
- 1.75 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. To prepare cake, smear lots and lots of softened butter into every crevice of your bundt pan. The more complicated the pan (the one in the picture above is called the saphir bundt), the more butter is needed. Dust the buttered pan with flour. Tap pan upside down over sink to remove extra flour.
3. Combine granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt); stir with a whisk.
5. Add cranberries to flour mixture; toss to coat (this will stop them from sinking to the bottom of the cake while it bakes).
6. Combine 3/4 cup milk, 1/3 cup juice, and extract.
7. Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
8. 4. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pan on a wire rack 10 minutes (TEN MINUTES; no more, no less). Remove cake from pan; cool on rack.
9. To prepare glaze, place powdered sugar in a small bowl; add 1 tablespoon milk and 1 tablespoon juice, stirring with a whisk until combined.
10. Pour glaze over warm cake; cool completely.