Red Lentil Dal with Cilantro Carrot Salad and Couscous
- 4 C water, divided
- 1 C vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup dried small red lentils
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 ounces spinach (about 4 cups loosely packed)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups shaved carrot (about 2 large)
- 1/2 cup thinly vertically sliced onion
- 1/2 cilantro leaves (or 1/4 C dried cilantro)
- 1/2 t fresh pepper
1. To prepare dal, combine 3 cups water and lentils in a bowl. Let stand 20 minutes; drain.
2. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add the chopped onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add ginger and next 4 ingredients (through curry powder); sauté for 30 seconds. Add lentils, 1 cup water and 1 cup stock to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 23 minutes. Stir in spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
3. To prepare salad, combine 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, and sugar in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add carrot, sliced onion, and cilantro; toss to coat.
4. prepare some whole wheat couscous. serve all three together.