Cilantro Brown Rice Pilaf with Herb-breaded Grilled Eggplant
For the pilaf I use a Himalayan rice blend that is really nutty-tasty, but any brown/wild rice combo would be good.
- 2 C brown rice blend, cooked
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 T fennel seeds
- 1/3 C chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 C frozen peas
- 1 medium sized eggplant, sliced
- 1/4 C chopped fresh oregano (or other herb)
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 slice wheat bread
1. cook the eggplant in a grill pan for 3-5 minutes on each side.
2. saute the onion, zucchini, squash and fennel seeds for about 5 minutes, until tender. Add frozen peas and cilantro and cook until done. Add the brown rice.
3. blend together the olive oil, garlic, oregano and bread in a blender or food processor. spread the mixture on the slices of eggplant and grill a bit longer.
4. serve the pilaf with the eggplant.