Mediterranean Butternut Squash and Chick Pea Stew
tasty and easy to make, with middle eastern flavors. you can experiment with using other vegetables.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped brussels sprouts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted tomato paste
- 3 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted chickpeas
- 1 (15-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
Cut a butternut squash in half and roast it at 375 in an oven, cut side up, for 40 minutes or so.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add onion, carrots, brussels sprouts and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until golden. Stir in salt and next 5 ingredients (through pepper); cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in squash and chickpeas; cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and stock, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a simmer; cook 10 minutes. Serve over couscous.