This is yummy and hearty and great for a healthy winter meal. I serve it with brown rice cooked with vegetable stock.
- 2 1/4 pounds green cabbage, core removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped fennel
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Combine cabbage, onion, oil, sugar, black pepper, and salt in a large bowl; toss to coat. (It's OK if the cubes start to separate.)
3. Divide cabbage mixture between 2 foil-lined jelly-roll pans. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes, stirring and rotating pans after 10 minutes.
4. In the same bowl that you used for the cabbage, combine carrots, vinegar, mustard, cayenne, caraway and fennel seeds; toss to coat.
5. Remove cabbage from oven, and carefully transfer to the bowl with the carrots. Add butter; toss gently to combine.
6. Heat broiler to high. Return cabbage mixture to pans, spreading evenly. Place each pan under the broiler for 3 minutes (this will be a two-phase operation) or until edges begin to brown and evenly crisp.