Vegetable Stir Fry with Spicy Peanut Sauce over Coconut Cilantro Rice
the peanut sauce in this recipe is really easy to make and a good balance of spicy / tart / creamy. the coconut cilantro rice adds depth of flavor.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 C chopped bell pepper (any variety)
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 C chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- coconut cilantro rice:
- 1 C light coconut milk
- 1 C uncooked white rice
- 1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
1. Start the coconut rice (see details below).
2. Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add onions and bell peppers, saute for 2 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms; stir-fry 4 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
3. Reduce heat to medium-high. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon oil, coconut milk, and next 7 ingredients (through cumin) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add coconut milk mixture to pan; cook 30 seconds.
4. Serve over cilantro rice:
Stir together 1 C light coconut milk and 1/4 C water, bring to a boil. Add 1 C uncooked long grain white rice. Cook until tender, about 17 minutes. Add 1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro, stir to combine. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.