fast and easy--and light--version of the classic creamy pasta recipe.
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vodka or water or white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces neufchatel cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4-6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander over a bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add asparagus, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Add rind and juice; toss. Keep warm.
3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add vodka (or water or wine) and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add cream cheese, stirring until smooth. Stir in milk, Parmesan cheese, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in reserved pasta water, pasta, and asparagus; toss to coat noodles.