For this recipe you use a food processor to ground your own nut flour. I used almonds and pistachios for this version, but you can use any kind of nut. The cake is easy to make, not-too-sweet and also a crowd pleaser. PS: if you don't have a food processor, you can buy almond flour and use that instead--2/3 cup.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 C sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 C slivered almonds plus 1/4 C shelled pistachios, ground in a food processor
- extra slivered almonds and pistachios for sprinkling
- 1/3 C flour
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 T milk
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
- 1 8-inch springform pan (or regular pan) buttered and dusted with flour
Put the butter, sugar and eggs in a large mixer bowl, add the ground nuts, flour and milk, then beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy. That will probably mean 3-5 minutes.
Spoon the mixture into a prepared pan and sprinkle the extra nuts over the top.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until the cake just springs back when touched.
After 5 minutes run a butter knife around the inside edge of the pan to loosen the cake, then remove the springform or invert the cake onto a plate and let it cool.
Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.