If you love delicious potatoes but are just not that into mayonnaise, this is the potato salad for you. It's easy to make and very very tasty--always a hit at bbqs. This version is the classic version, but you can also add extras like grilled corn and zucchini or bacon, etc.
- 1.5 - 2 pounds mixed small potatoes (yukon, red, purple, etc.), cut into roughly 1-inch pieces
- 7 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 chopped green onions
- 2 1/2 cups loosely packed arugula
1. Place potato pieces in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water to 2 inches above potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and gently simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes.
2. While the potatoes cook, saute the onions until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
3. While potatoes cook, also combine vinegar, mustard, lemon rind, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add 3-4 teaspoons oil, stirring constantly with a whisk until combined.
4. Combine warm potatoes and onions in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over warm potatoes; toss gently to coat. Cool completely (put in refrigerator to speed up the process).
5. Add arugula and green onions to potato mixture; toss gently. Serve immediately.