a quick and tasty summer chowder.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 - 1/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3.5-ounce nova smoked salmon, torn into small pieces
- roasted corn kernels
- chopped green onions
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, celery, salt, and red pepper; sauté 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour on mixture and stir thoroughly. Slowly add milk and cook until the sauce starts to thicken. Add the water, cook until vegetables are tender.
Stir in salmon and, if you like, some corn kernels or other extra vegetables; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. If you like: sprinkle evenly with green onions and croutons.