the photo isn't doing this dish any favors, but believe me, this is a very tasty dish. the addition of lemon rind in the sauce and a bit of lemon juice with the vegetables gives it a subtle kick on top of its classic oregano/parmesan/mozzarella yumminess.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 7 ounces artichokes (i used frozen, thawed), chopped
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 lasagna noodles
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Saute onions and olive oil in large skillet; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add asparagus; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and oregano; cook 1 minute. Stir in artichokes and 1 T lemon juice; remove from heat.
3. Combine 1/2 cup milk and flour in a saucepan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk and broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Simmer 1 minute or until thickened. Add rind, black pepper and red pepper.
4. Combine cheeses in a small bowl. Spread 1/2 cup milk mixture in bottom of an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. Place 2 lasagna noodles on top; top with one-half of vegetable mixture, one-third of remaining milk mixture, and one-third of cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
5. Preheat broiler to high.
6. Uncover lasagna; broil on middle rack of oven for 2 minutes or until cheese is browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.