I found the directions for this recipe unnecessarily complicated so I ditched blanching and chopping the sesame seeds and red pepper flakes and me and my stomach were much happier just sautéing it all.
- 2 bunches broccolini (1 lb.)
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. toasted white sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cook broccolini in a large pot of salted boiling water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water. Drain and dry well. Halve broccolini, if desired. Place in a large bowl.
Finely chop 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds and 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes in a spice grinder (or finely chop with a knife). Transfer to a small bowl; stir in both oils, vinegar, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over broccolini; toss to coat. Transfer to a platter; sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. sesame seeds and more red pepper flakes, if desired.