Can't get enough of this recipe - it's a tasty fiber bomb!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño, peeled, seeded, and minced
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 4 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add cumin seeds, cardamom, and garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Stir in 4 cups water, ginger, turmeric, jalapeño, vegetable stock, lentils, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in salt, chia seeds, and cilantro; serve immediately with brown rice on the side, if using.