You will dream at night of bitter greens after you taste this recipe.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthwise ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds (1 ounce)
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 pound tender young dandelion greens, any tough stems discarded
- 2 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar
- plus 1 sm. head (or ½ lg. head) frisée
Heat oil in a 10” heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Cook garlic & almonds, stirring frequently, until pale golden, about 2 mins. Add raisins & cook, stirring, until garlic is golden & raisins are plumped, about 1 min. Remove from heat & add vinegar, sugar, salt, & pepper, stirring until combined. Pour hot dressing over grees in a bowl, tossing with tongs to coat. Makes 4 to 6 (side dish) servings. 20 minutes or so.