I found Red Tart Cherry Juice at Trader Joe's and had to see what it would be like as frosting. By itself it was fine but I wanted a little more zing so I added a bit of lemon extract. YUM!
The natural color for this frosting is a soft pink but since this was for my son's birthday cupcakes I had to make that more of a red with some food coloring.
- 2 pounds powdered sugar (a.k.a. 2 boxes)
- 2 sticks butter, softened (a.k.a. 1 cup)**
- about 1/2 cup Trader Joe's 100% Red Tart Cherry Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 pinches of salt
- **if your butter is still cold, you can nuke it -- one stick at a time -- in the wrapper for 10 seconds.
- ***or frosts about 2 dozen cupcakes
With your mixer, cream the butter for about 2 minutes.
Add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of dry ingredients. Once incorporated, add splash of the wet ingredients -- just enough to get the texture to your desired frosting consistency.
Repeat until all the dry ingredients are incorporated and the frosting is at your desired textured.
Spread on your cake or eat it straight off the mixer blade.
NOTE: You may not use all your juice...and that's okay. :o)