So this was my attempt to turn a disaster [Strawberry Fudge] into a triumph. And...I think this was a success. Resulting bar is buttery and the nuts and coconut really help to cut the uber-sweetness of the fudge.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cup oatmeal cookie crumbs*
- 18 oz. white chocolate
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup stewed strawberries or strawberry jam
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut, unsweetened
- *I pulverized about half a package of Mothers [unfrosted] oatmeal cookies in the food processor.
Preheat oven to 350º.
Put stick of butter in 8x13" pan and place in oven to melt as it preheats.
Remove pan from oven and swirl butter around to make sure the bottom of the pan (and a bit of the sides) gets some butter coverage. Then evenly sprinkle the cookie crumbs over the butter.
REMEMBER, the pan is HOT. So be careful.
Lightly smooth and press down the crumbs with the back of a spoon or spatula.
Melt white chocolate with sweetened condensed milk and salt in heavy saucepan over low heat.
Remove from heat and stir in strawberry.
Pour over cookie crust and spread evenly.
Sprinkle nuts evenly over top followed by coconut.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and cool before trying to slice.