Photo by hulagun
This is a quick meal made to use up leftovers we had from a couple of recent meals. There's no cooking, so it's very quick to make, and it's so tasty you'll have no leftovers this time. It makes a perfect meal on a warm night, and is even better paired with cold fried chicken and cerveza fria.
- All measurements and ingredients are approximate, so feel free to freestyle!
- 1 1/2 cups leftover cooked Spanish or saffron basmati rice, cold
- 1 cup uncooked white corn kernels, about 1 or 2 ears
- 1/2 firm avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 small red tomato, diced, about 3/4 cup 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoons El Pato or other red pepper hot sauce
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper
Break up the cold rice so it becomes loose with minimal clumps. Add in the corn. Pick out any stray corn silk threads you can find. Add tomato, olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, pepper sauce and cumin. Mix well. Add a little more olive oil if the salad seems dry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the avocado pieces last. Mix in a dash of cayenne only if you want additional heat. Let stand 10 minutes in the refrigerator so the flavors can combine a little, toss again, then serve cold.