Photo by hulagun
Friends invited us over for fish tacos and asked us to bring a side dish. We had extra corn on the cob and no lettuce so we free-styled this easy salad. This recipe is heavy on the corn, so reverse the bean to corn ratio if you want more protein and less sweetness.
- 1 - 14 oz canned or cooked black beans, rinsed and drained, about 2 cups
- 5-6 ears white corn, about 3 cups
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced, 3/4 cup
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced, 3/4 cup
- 1/2 red onion, chopped fine, about 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 teaspoons Crystal or other red pepper hot sauce
- 1 large lime, squeezed
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- White pepper
- Cayenne pepper
If using fresh corn, strip off all the outer husks and silk, and cut the kernels off the cob. Pick out any stray corn silk threads you see. Combine all ingredients except the salt, white pepper and cayenne in a bowl. Mix together and add salt and pepper to taste. Add cayenne if you want additional heat. Let stand at least 15 minutes so the flavors can combine, then toss again and serve.