My goal was purple frosting for my daughter's birthday cupcakes and I thought I would have to mix a blueberry juice with something red, like cranberry. But surprisingly, blueberry makes a really nice purple all by itself.
- 2 pounds powdered sugar (a.k.a. 2 boxes)
- 2 sticks butter, softened (a.k.a. 1 cup)*
- about 1/2 cup blueberry juice**
- 2 pinches of salt
- *if your butter is still cold, you can nuke it -- one stick at a time -- in the wrapper for 10 seconds.
- **You can make your own but I just got a bottle of "Just Blueberry" juice from Trader Joes.
- ***or frosts about 2 dozen cupcakes
With your mixer, cream the butter for about 2 minutes.
Add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of dry ingredients. Once incorporated, add splash of the juice -- just enough to get the texture to your desired frosting consistency.
Repeat until all the dry ingredients are incorporated and the frosting is at your desired textured.
Spread on your cake or eat it straight off the mixer blade.
NOTE: You may not use all your juice...and that's okay. :o)