Sometimes you wake up in the morning and you just know it can't be a day if there's no cake with breakfast. Or maybe it's not the morning and you just want some cake without having to take all the fancy steps to get there. Voila, the one-bowl no-mixer cake. These cakes can be mixed and in the oven in 15 minutes or less. Version one: Coconut. Stay tuned for chocolate, black&white, white spice, blueberry almond, and ginger.... (PS--the coconut recipe is also a good way to use up that leftover coconut milk from last night's thai curry.)
- 6 T butter
- 1 C sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 C light coconut milk
- 1/2 t salt
- 1.5 C self-rising flour (or 1.5 C flour plus 1/2 t baking soda)
- Optional glaze:
- mix together confectioner's sugar with some coconut milk, of a ratio that gives you the consistency you want. You could add some coconut flakes, too, if you want.
1. Melt the butter.
2. Whisk the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the vanilla and one egg, whisk together. Add the second egg, whisk together. Add the coconut milk, whisk.
3. Add the salt and flour and stir until just mixed.
4. Put it in a greased 8-inch square or 9-inch round, stick it in an oven preheated to 350, and bake for roughly 30 minutes (or when a toothpick comes out dry).
5. If you are going to glaze it, wait until the cake has cooled for 10 minutes, then pour the glaze over the top. Top with some coconut flakes if you like....