this version makes some good changes from the already tasty first version. either of the orzos (the original asparagus/green onion or this spicy zucchini one) make a great pairing with the soup.
- 3 T butter
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 3 oz orzo, cooked
- 1/8 t red pepper flakes
- 1/4 t paprika
- salt and pepper
- 3 C corn kernels (from 4 ears), cobs reserved
- 2 C water
1. Melt 1 T butter and saute the zucchini, the red pepper and paprika, and 1/3 of the chopped red onion until tender. Add the orzo and stir. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Melt 2 T butter in a saucepan. Add remaining chopped onion and saute until tender. Add corn and cook for 3-5 minutes, until tender. Add 2 C water and the corn cobs and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the soup thickens up a bit, about 8 minutes. Discard cobs. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Run 1/2 of the soup through a blender or a food processor until smooth. Combine with the rest of the soup.
4. Serve chowder topped with the orzo mixture.