this thing is really really good--rich and flavorful and easy to make. you want it in your mouth.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 C sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 C slivered almongs, ground in a food processor (or 2/3 C pre-ground almond flour)
- extra slivered almonds for sprinking
- 1/3 C self-rising flour
- 1 T milk
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
- 1 8-inch springform pan (or regular pan) buttered and dusted with flour
Put the butter, sugar and eggs in a large mixer bowl, add the ground almonds, flour and milk, then beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy. That will probably mean 3-5 minutes.
Spoon the mixture into a prepared pan and sprinkle the slivered almonds over the top.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until the cake just springs back when touched.
After 5 minutes run a butter knife around the inside edge of the pan to loosen the cake, then remove the springform or invert the cake onto a plate and let it cool.
Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.