Hearty and tasty potato soup in under an hour!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chopped potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- chopped green onions
- garlic crouton crumbs (4 slices bread, 1 clove garlic, butter)
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Sprinkle with flour; cook 1 minute, stirring onion mixture constantly. Add potato, milk, broth, and 1/2 cup water to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add cheese and ground red pepper; cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Top each serving evenly with chopped green onions and crouton crumbs.
To make the crouton crumbs: process 4 slices wheat or italian bread in a food processor (or otherwise finely chop it) with a clove of garlic. Melt 1 T butter in a skillet and fry until crispy. Voila.